St James Park
|Address:||St James Park|
Newcastle upon Tyne
|Map & Directions:|| Multimap.co.uk|
|Telephone:|| (0191) 201 8400|
|Fax:|| (0191) 201 8600|
|Box Office:||(0191) 261 1571|
|Club:|| Newcastle United|
The 1970's East Stand, once the largest stand in the ground is now quite easily the smallest of the four St. James Park stands. In the late 1980's the main Milburn was built and with the arrival of Kevin Keegan, the sleeping giant was awoken. The Leazes End terrace, demolished in the 1970's to make way for a stand that was never built, was re-planned and developed into the Sir John Hall Stand. This was quickly followed by a mirror image Gallowgate (Newcastle Exhibition Stand) that took the capacity to an all seated 36,000.
For a number of years a large number of fans were unable to watch the Magpies and it wasn't until the year 2000 that the Geordies could truly have a stadium to be proud of and which could hold a fitting capacity. The Milburn Stand was extended and quite incredibly, the Sir John Hall stand - only five years after being built, was also given an extra tier. These two stands now link together and have boosted capacity to over 52,000 - England's second largest stadium behind Man Utd.
The club have great difficulty in extending further as Newcastle's underground system runs under the Gallowgate end - meaning further development cost would be prohibitively expensive due to the necessary foundation work. The East Stand is restricted due to the listed Georgian Terrace building immediately behind it.