|Map & Directions:|| Multimap.co.uk|
|Telephone:|| (0151) 263 2361|
|Fax:|| (0151) 260 8813|
|Box Office:||(0151) 260 9999|
After Liverpool had won their second League Championship in 1906 a new banking was built that became commonly known as the Kop. It was named after the Spion Kop, a famous hill in South Africa where a local regiment had suffered heavy losses during the Boer War.
The Kop was extended in 1928 to a 30,000 capacity could be housed under the cover of a roof. In 1957 floodlights were installed and in 1963 the old Kemlyn Road stand was replaced by a cantilevered stand, seating 6,700 and built at a cost of £350,000. In 1973 when the old Main Stand was ripped down and a magnificent new one constructed.
The next major change came in the early 1990s when a second tier, costing £10 million, was added to the old Kemlyn Road stand, enlarging the capacity to 11,000 in an all-seater stand. In May 1994 came the most dramatic change of all, with the Kop torn being demolished and 10,000 seats installed under the recommendations of the Taylor Report following the Hillsborough disaster. The present capacity is around 40,000, although the club plan to leave Anfield and build a 55,000 seater stadium in the nearby Stanley Park.
| Internet Stories: 3287 articles|
|Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers targets next 18 months to 'really challenge' on the trophy front - 06/03/2014|
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers wants to leave a legacy at Anfield which will not just include silverware. www.independent.co.uk